Thursday, August 12, 2010

French Onion Soup

I made a batch of French Onion Soup for lunch today before I went to work.  I thinly sliced two pounds of onions and cooked them with a bit of sugar in a pot over medium heat for at least half an hour until they were golden brown.  Now usually when making this soup I would saute the onions in several pans for about 10 minutes or so until they were golden brown.  But I didn't have enough space in the house kitchen, and Mom was canning peaches, so I just used a big pot.  It worked, just took a bit longer.  Then, after the onions were ready, I added 10 cups of beef broth and a bit of black pepper, covered the pot, and let it simmer for 20 minutes.  Then I put the soup in a serving dish, put some chopped toasted bread on it, and sprinkled cheese over it.  Now, if you know anything about this soup, you will know that the cheese used on top is usually Swiss, or some other good melting white cheese.  Then you broil the cheese until golden and puffy.  Unfortunately, we did not have Swiss, or my other option, Provolone, so I grated some Colby and sprinkled it on top.  It was good, even with the different cheese.

I have decided to increase the vitality of my blog and start posting pictures of the food I make with each post.  So here are pics of the French Onion Soup.  Just know, it tasted a whole lot better than it looks.  It is just basically caramelized onions in beef broth.  Not so great looking, but it tastes so good.




Currently Listening
The Suburbs
by Arcade Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment