Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Restaurant Review: Sotto Sopra - Baltimore, MD

  I like going out to eat.  I like going to Baltimore and going out to eat with my cousins.  It's fun.  Kills two birds with one stone; going out to eat and spending time with the cousins who I don't see all that much anymore.  Today Jon, Janina, and I went to eat with the cousins to Sotto Sopra.  Thanks Danae for recommending the place.
  "Sotto Sopra is a slick, hip, stylish contemporary Italian restaurant located in the cultural district of downtown Baltimore. The historical 19th century townhome is back drop to great Italian cuisine. Enjoy monthly Opera Nights."  I stole that from their Facebook page.  Now I'm going to come right out and say it, I'm not too fond of Italian restaurants.  Let me explain, I like Italian food.  But it seems like every other restaurant nowadays is Italian.  People that aren't even Italian open Italian restaurants.  Why?  Because people like Italian food and by jumping on that bandwagon there is a good chance the restaurant will attract people.  But there can be a problem with that, these wannabe Italian places tend to be cheesy.  So unless you have an authentic Italian restaurant, I would rather not go there.  All that to say, Sotto Sopra is an authentic Italian place.  From Italian people working there to authentic decorating and, sticker for me, Italian spelling on the menu.
  Sotto Sopra participated in  Baltimore Restaurant Week and although that ended last week they extended their restaurant week menu for a few more days.  So that meant we could order a three course meal for $30.  Good deal.  For the first course, appetizer, I ordered polenta with escargot.  Very creamy polenta...and the snails.  Yum!!  Second course I ordered, I don't even remember what it was exactly, salmon with arugula and set on some sort of beans.  It was amazing whatever it was.  Third course I ordered Chocolate Pots de Creme.  My goodness.  So good!  Oh and before all that we ordered a cheese platter.  Three different kinds of cheese drizzled with honey and served with crusty bread.  Don't ask my what the cheeses were.  I forget.  All I remember was two of them were good and the third not so much.  The plating and the designs on the plates were quite good.  Very nicely plated and attractive.  Good to look at, even better to eat.  It was a bit pricey, spent $43 for everything, tip included, but it was well worth it.

Currently Listening
Jealous Hands
by Andy Zipf

No comments:

Post a Comment