Monday, January 30, 2012

Restaurant Review: The Black Sheep - Richmond, VA

The other week I was in Richmond with Janina and Austin.  When I was trying to decide upon a place to eat lunch I was thinking about The Hill Cafe, did some research on it, and then noticed that people were bragging up The Black Sheep.  Not until after I decided we were going there for lunch did I realized that they were featured on Man v Food.  Check it out on Youtube here.  Their "battleship" sandwiches really settled it for me, we were going there.  Now they name these sandwiches "battleships" for a reason, they are no ordinary subs.  They are so big that they are no longer subs, they are battleships.  Two foot long toasted French baguette loaded with yummy goodness.  The first thing you will notice about The Black Sheep is that it is small.  Looks almost like a little house when you drive by.  The dining room is very small as well.  Their menu is not small, however, as the battleships attest to.  Check out their Facebook page here for their menu.  Janina ordered a half USS Brooklyn.  Jerk barbecued chicken, loaded into a toasted french baguette with shredded cabbage, roasted banana ketchup & peach chutney.  Austin and I split a full USS Congress.  Chipotle roasted pork shoulder simmered in a tomatillo barbeque sauce with grilled pineapple and a Mexican style pickled pepper and cabbage salad, loaded into a toasted french baguette.  My goodness it was great!  Anything with pork is going to be good.  The grilled pineapple made the sandwich.  So good!  The USS Brooklyn was a bit too hot for Janina.  Jerk seasonings will do that.  So Austin and I gave here a bit of our battleship and we had some of hers.  My goodness that was amazing too!  You didn't realize how hot it was while you were eating it because the roasted banana ketchup and peach chutney balanced the heat.  Then after a few bites you were like, "Yea, this is hot."  But it was so good!  It's probably a good thing I don't live in Richmond because I could easily see me frequenting this place at least once a week and spending money that I don't really have.

Now I usually don't take pictures in restaurants but this had to be an exception.  Take a gander at this.
Yea.

Currently Listening
Cagebound
by With Words

No comments:

Post a Comment