Friday, May 27, 2011

Crockpot Enchiladas

The other day, as you may recall, I made "enchiladas."  Notice the quotations because they weren't real enchiladas.  I just used stuff that I had on hand and threw it together in the enchilada style.  Tonight I made real enchiladas.  The recipe I used calls for ground beef, onion, pepper, black beans, kidney beans, green chilies, and then spices.  I didn't really feel like cutting up an veg, and I wanted to use up some stuff we had sitting in the fridge.  So I browned two pounds of beef
and added black beans, navy beans, a bit of corn, some salsa mixed with tomato sauce, water, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
Then I assembled it in the crockpot in layers.  A bit of sauce, a layer of flour tortillas, and then a mixture of Monterrey Jack and Cheddar cheese.
After 5 hours or so it was done.  Smelled so good.
I was going to just dig into it to dish it out.  Tryphena said no.  When Mom would make this she would roll them individually.  I foresaw me making a big mess, so Mom rolled them up.  It turned out quite well.  Ate them with some shredded lettuce and sour cream.  Would have been even better if we had salsa to eat it with, but I had used the last of the salsa for in it.  Bummer.  Oh, well.  It was still much good.
Kind of like a Chipotle burrito.  Massive.  I think this was two tortillas rolled up into one.

Currently Listening
My Worship in Motion
by Daniel Bashta

No comments:

Post a Comment