Thursday, May 26, 2011

Japanese Chicken w/ Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Kale

I have a recipe in my collection called Japanese Chicken.  I think I got it from my mom, who got it from her sister.  It is quite good.  Only thing, it is kinda messy to make.  But the end result is so good.

First I made the sauce.
 Then I floured the chicken
and seared it.
It was so hot inside I didn't want to use the oven, because it would have made it even hotter.  So I cooked the chicken outside on our gas grill.  Plus, searing the chicken always makes a mess.  This way the mess was outside.

Then I put the chicken in a pot, poured the sauce over it, and let it cook.
I usually use chicken breasts to make this.  We only had chicken thighs thawed, so that is what I used.  It worked I guess.  Only thing is, the breasts would have seared better than the thighs.

While the chicken was cooking I made mash.  We didn't have any white potatoes so I used a massive sweet potato.
I only used about half of it.
When the potatoes were soft I put them through a ricer to mash them and get rid of that stringy stuff.  Mixed a little butter, salt, and pepper into it.

I also cooked up some kale from the garden.
Braised them I guess you would say with some chicken stock, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

It was good.  The sweet potatoes were smooth and yummy because they went through the ricer.  The kale was actually pretty good.  The chicken was much yummy with that sauce.

Hmm, I think we should make this Japanese Chicken at the Bistro one weekend.  Good idea, self.

Japanese Chicken Sauce
--- 1 cup brown sugar
--- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
--- 1/2 tsp salt
--- 1/2 cup white vinegar
--- 1/2 cup water
Combine all ingredients and cook until thickened
Serve over chicken and mashed potatoes.

Now if you are making this at home you can  just mix up the sauce, pour it over the seared chicken, and put it in the oven for about an hour.

Currently Listening
The Words That Help You Carry On
by With Increase

No comments:

Post a Comment