Monday, September 19, 2011

Bacon Hot Sauce

I like making hot sauce.  Last year I made a mean Jalapeno and Habanero hot sauce.  It is quite hot.  Two weeks or so ago, I made bacon hot sauce.  I saw some for sale online and figured, instead of buying it, I could just make some.  So I went out in the garden and picked jalapenos and a few habaneros, enough to make two pounds.
I took a few slices of bacon and fried  it with onion and some carrot.

Carrot because I wanted the taste of the habanero but not so much the heat.  They say that putting carrot in hot sauce, especially habanero hot sauces, brings out the fruity flavor of the habaneros while cutting the heat.
I cut the tops off the peppers and and put them into the blender, along with the bacon mixture and tomato juice.  Blended it good until it was pretty smooth.
When it was all pureed I put it in a pot on the stove and brought it to a boil for a few minutes.
When it was good and hot I quickly poured it into jars and screwed lids on them.  They soon started sealing.
After a week of sitting in the jars, I tried some.  It's not very hot.  Doesn't really taste like bacon either.  But it's still good.  Has an excellent flavor and color.  Not bad for a first time making bacon hot sauce.  Next time I will use more bacon, more habaneros, and no carrot.  The next hot sauce I'm going to make is a straight up habanero hot sauce.  That aforementioned Jalapeno and Habanero Hot Sauce that I think is pretty hot doesn't faze my dad at all.  He eats it like ketchup.  So I'm going to make a pure habanero hot sauce and if that doesn't make him sweat bullets I'm going to get some ghost chilies.

Currently Listening
Untouchable
by Before Their Eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment