Sunday, October 2, 2011

My first non-food related blog

*Bear with me in this one. It's important.*

I'm a rave kid. I listen to electronic house music all the time, go to rave parties/clubs every weekend, do drugs, and get messed up because that's what rave kids do.

I'm an indie kid. I listen to indie music all the time, shun mainstream music, shun mainstream anything at that, because that's what indie kids do.

I'm a hipster. I listen to only "hip" indie music, subscribe to Paste magazine, wear vintage clothing, grow my own produce, do home canning, and drink PBR, because that's what hipsters do.

I'm a preppy kid. I wear flannel and buttons down shirts with the sleeves rolled up, argyle sweater, cargo pants, Abercrombie & Fitch, American Eagle, Pac Sun, etc... pink for boys, and play preppy sports like tennis, golf, rowing, cricket, sailing, etc... because that's what preppy kids do.

I'm a metal kid. I only listen to metal music, get lots of tattoos, wear tank shirts, gauge my ears, and do crazy things in the pit at shows, because that's what metal kids do.

I'm a straight edge kid. I abstain from all drugs and tobacco, get straight edge tattoos (mainly X's), and generally listen to punk/hardcore music, because that's what straight edge kids do.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. All the kids these days are so concerned with fitting into one scene that they have forgotten who they are. They are so focused on doing what their scene "requires" them to do that they are hardly human anymore. They are like robots. This is not right.  This is not how we were meant to live. We were created to glorify God. All this talk of subcultures and fitting into your scene does not glorify God. It's all focused on us, how we are supposed to look, what music we are supposed to listen to, what kids we should hate because they aren't part of our scene. This needs to change.  We need to come back to God. We've strayed away for far too long.

Now you may say, "Well, Andrew, all these things in and of themselves aren't bad.  Are you saying we shouldn't have any scenes?"  No, that's not what I'm saying.  Most of this stuff in and of itself is not bad, except the rave kid doing drugs all the time and getting messed up.  I'm not going to bash you because you're indie, preppy, rave, whatever it may be.  I want to bring light to just how stupid it is to do stuff just because it's what the scene requires of you.  Don't do what everybody else is doing.  What if they are all wrong?  Be yourself.  Be who you want to be.  Most importantly, be who God wants you to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment