Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Habanero Hot Sauce

A couple weeks ago I made habanero hot sauce.  Straight up habaneros.  No other pepper.  I wanted it to be as spicy as possible because Dad always says that the hot sauce I make isn't spicy enough.  So that was my challenge...make hot sauce spicy enough to make Dad stop saying that he can use it like ketchup.

I used two pounds of habaneros, a quart of tomato juice, one large onion, and a few cloves of elephant garlic.
First I diced the onion and garlic and sauteed it.
While that was sauteing I got the habaneros ready.  Using those gloves from the above picture I took the stem off and cut the habaneros in half.  I included the seeds, membranes, and everything.  Didn't want to take any of that out and lose some potential spiciness.  Gloves, very important.  Didn't want to burn the flesh off my fingers.
Then I combined the habaneros and the sauteed veg in the blender and blended it up really good using the tomato juice.
Then I put it all in a pot and brought it to a boil.
Evil.  It's a pot of pure evil.
I let it simmer a fer minutes then added some vinegar.  While it was still boiling hot I poured it into jars to seal.
After about a week I tasted some.  It is good.  Very good, but super duper spicy!!!  I have accomplished my mission, though.  Dad say's it burns.  It burns him good. :-)

Currently Listening
The Prophecy
by Sovereign Strength

No comments:

Post a Comment