Monday, September 19, 2011

Sausage, Sweet Potato, and Apple Bake with Corn and Black Bean Salad

It is just about fall, so that means fall themed foods.  I love fall.  I love the foods of fall.  Tonight's dinner was fall themed

First of all, I made a corn and black bean salad because it had to sit several hours.  I used canned corn and black beans, fresh bell peppers from the garden, onion, parsley, veggie oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
Chopped the onion and bell pepper, then mixed everything together.  I tasted it and it was good, but needed something else.  So I added a bit of cayenne pepper.  Then it was excellent.
I put it in the fridge to sit while I made the sausage, sweet potato, and apple bake.  I used two nice sweet potatoes, fresh from the garden, and three apples.
Peeled the sweet potatoes and sliced them and the apples.  The recipe I was following said to peel the apples.  I did not.  I do what I want.  I'm a chef, not a cook.  I'm not bound to recipes.  I'm above them.
I made sausage.  Yes, I made sausage.  In this house, we make sausage.  We take ground turkey and mix it with a secret spice blend.  It's good.  It's cheaper than regular sausage and just as good, if not better.
I mixed the sausage with flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and water.  Then I layered the sweet potato and apple in a baking dish
and topped it with the sausage mixture.
Then I put it in the oven for an hour or so, until everything was hot and the apples and potatoes were soft.

Fresh from the oven.
Served, with a slice of Italian bread with bread butter and jam.
Not much to look at.  It doesn't make for good pictures, but it was delicious.  Good fall food.

Currently Listening
All That Is Not Music Is Silence
by The Sleep Design

No comments:

Post a Comment