Monday, August 1, 2011

Restaurant review - Chuckwagon Restaurant, Nokesville, VA

This place has been around for a while now.  Maybe a year.  I never ate there before tonight.  I've heard some stories about it.  Some good, some not so good.  First of all, for me, the name just weirds me out.  Chuckwagon?  Really?  I know you are located in Nokesville; I know you opened in what used to be the Nokesville CoOp; I know you are trying for a whole down home, homestyle, no frills, country restaurant; but Chuckwagon is just weird.  Anyway, so I went tonight not expecting much.

We were greeted as soon as we got in (good sign) and seated immediately.  There was a few other customers there.  Our server (very friendly guy) came right away and got our drink orders.  Asked if we wanted any apps.  We got the cheese fries, at his recommendation.  Drinks came out soon after, followed by the cheese fries.  Good cheese fries, I must say.  Loaded with cheddar and crumbled bacon.  (Good so far)

They do daily specials here.  Tonight was Italian Night.  My mom and I both got the special, All You Can Eat Pasta and Marinara.  We both got it with meatballs.  Janina got the other special, Chili Mac Pasta.  Dad got the Chuckwagon Burger.  Austin got the the shrimp basket.

If you go to their website, www.mychuckwagon.com, the menu there doesn't look all that.  They have since updated their menu, and I must say, for the best.  All the prices are cheap.  Most expensive thing is a NY Strip Steak for around $15.00.  Even that is a great price.  That is actually what I was thinking about getting before deciding on the pasta special.

The food came out in great time.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Big bowl of pasta and meatballs with 2 slices of garlic bread.  It was much good.  I tasted Janina's Chili Pasta.  Mhmm!  Dad loved his burger.  Only thing was, Austin's shrimp basket seemed a little skimpy next to our big pile of food.  I think it was all priced the same at $8.95.  Anyway, Mom shared some of her pasta with him, so all was good.

I would go back.  It seemed to me that they have worked out their kinks.

I guess the whole Chuckwagon thing works for them.  The decorating inside is rather cheesy.  Your stereotypical country (am I allowed to say "redneck?") decorations.  It all works I guess.

Final thought: if you are looking for a good, cheaper, no frills dining experience, then by all means go to the Chuckwagon.

Currently Listening
In Shallow Seas We Sail
by Emery

No comments:

Post a Comment