Monday, July 25, 2011

Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Zucchini/Tomato Salsa

Title as it would read on a restaurant menu:

Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Zucchini/Tomato Salsa
  Southwestern marinated flat iron steak grilled to order and topped with Zucchini/Tomato Salsa.  Served with a boiled potato and grilled Mexican corn on the cob.
$16.95

The $16.95 is hypothetical, but that is roughly what you would pay in a restaurant for what I made tonight.
I used flat iron steaks.
Made a Southwestern marinade using garlic, lemon juice, oil, soy sauce, cumin, and chili powder.
I cleaned up the steaks, cut out the tough silverskin and everything.  That's the only problem with these steaks.  There is a big, inedible piece of silverskin running right through the middle of it.  You have to cut it out or the steak will be too tough to eat.  It wasn't too bad though.  They came cleaned up pretty nice from the butcher shop.
Then I poured the marinade over them and set them in the fridge for several hours.
I have been making a lot of compound butter for steak toppings at work recently.  I figured it was time for something healthier.  So I searched around and salsa topped steak sounded amazing.  I was looking for salsa like Pico de Gallo or something when Mom suggested Zucchini Salsa.  We have zucchini from the garden now.  So, hey, why not.  I looked online for some recipe suggestions.  Didn't really find any that I liked.  So I made my own version.  I used zucchini, tomato, Hungarian wax pepper, parsley, lemon juice, onion, garlic, oil, salt, and pepper.

I was wanting to use lime juice, jalapenos, but we didn't have any around.  So lemon juice and a Hungarian wax pepper was the next best thing.
I boiled some big, freshly dug potatoes,
and made Mexican corn on the cob.
Smeared mayo on the corn, sprinkled on Parmesan and chili powder, and wrapped them in foil.
Then I grilled them for about 15 minutes.
Then it was time to grill the steaks.
I can't seem to get any good grill marks on them on this grill.  Must be it can't be hot enough.  Still got a little but of grill marks here.
The finished product.
It was good.  Very good.  Next time if I make this Mexican corn I will add a bit of salt.  It was still good though.  I am now a fan of salsa for a steak topping.  Must find other salsas for topping.

Currently Listening
Jealous Hands
by Andy Zipf

No comments:

Post a Comment