Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Thai Yellow Curry Chicken and Thai Vegetable Stir-Fry

I am not a fan of Americanized curry.  We used to make a basic curry sauce at work, and I hated it.  Other people loved it, but not me.  So I decided to make a curry sauce that I like.  I researched it a little and there are so many different varieties and regions of curry.  I should maybe go on a curry making streak to find the better curries.  I found a recipe online for Thai Yellow Curry.  It sounded good.  I had two recipes that were a little different and copied a bit from each one to make my own sauce, since I didn't have all the ingredients to follow them exactly.

First I cleaned chicken thighs and put them in a pot on the stove to cook.
Then I made the sauce.  Took an onion and two cloves of garlic,
diced and then sauteed it in oil until a bit golden brown.
Added tomato sauce, ginger, crushed red pepper, turmeric, coriander, black pepper, fish sauce, lemon juice, and sugar.  Put it in the blender,

added coconut milk,
and pureed it all.
Then I put it in a pot to heat up later when the other food was ready.
Next I made a sauce for the stir-fry.  Chicken stock, fish sauce, juice of one lime, honey, rice wine (which I didn't have so I used red wine vinegar and cider vinegar).  Heated that on the stove then thickened it with a cornstarch slurry.  No picture of this sauce.  Sorry.  I had too much stuff going on to take a picture of everything.  Somewhere in there I got rice cooking too.

Then I got the stir-fry ready.  Used carrots, onion, red bell pepper, cabbage, broccoli, and mushrooms.
First I put chopped garlic in the pot with hot oil to saute it a little.
Then added the carrots and sauteed them a little.
Added the onion and let it saute a couple minutes.
Then the cabbage,
broccoli,

and mushrooms.
Poured the sauce over it and let simmer until it was done and the other food was ready.

Not a good picture, but the food was good.  The curry was a bit too much spicy though.  Next time I make this I will only use half the amount of crushed red pepper.  The stir-fry was quite good.  It must be the fish sauce.  Fish sauce, it's a strange thing.  It made the whole kitchen stink, but it made the food taste so good.

Currently Listening
Rip Open the Skies
by Remedy Drive

No comments:

Post a Comment