Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Crockpot Lasagna and Three Bean Salad

Call me Garfield because I love lasagna.  People ask me on occasion what I love to cook the most.  I usually say, "I don't know.  Everything, except baking."  I think I will now answer that question with lasagna.  It's so easy to make, and it's so good.  I have perfected the cheese and ground beef version of lasagna that I call Five Cheese Lasagna.  I am now trying other versions.  I have a recipe for Spinach Lasagna that I want to make sometime.  I also want to find a good vegetarian recipe.  Mom has a recipe for Crockpot Lasagna.  I made that tonight.

Mixed together cottage cheese, eggs, and parsley in a bowl.
Set that aside while I made the sauce.  Chopped an onion and half a bell pepper.
Sauteed that with some chopped mushroom.
Then mixed in pizza sauce and ground beef.
I grated some fresh Mozzarella and also used some frozen that we had.
Then it was time to layer the stuff in the crockpot.  First the noodles,
then some sauce,
cottage cheese mixture,
and Mozzarella.
Repeated the layers three times until all the stuff was used up.
Then I let it cook on high until it was ready, about 6 hours.

Meanwhile, I made Three Bean Salad.  I got the recipe from a really old book that I bought at the used bookstore in Manassas a while ago.  Salads (The Good Cook Techniques & Recipes Series)
It's from 1980 I believe.  Some really interesting salads are in it.

 Anyway, so I used Garbanzo, Great White, and Kidney beans.
Chopped some onion,
and mixed it all together with extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, parsley, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and some sugar.
I also made garlic bread.
The lasagna turned out quite good.
The lasagna was good.  Very good.  This recipe is a keeper.  The bean salad not so much however.  Too much olive oil and not sweet enough.  After we ate I fixed it.  Drained off the excess olive oil and added more red wine vinegar and sugar.  It was much better after that.  So now I know for next time; olive oil dressings are not good on bean salads.  Go with the vinegar based dressing for it.

Currently Listening
Secret in This Town
by Mark Mathis

No comments:

Post a Comment