Sunday, July 18, 2010

Corned Beef - Part One

We have had a beef brisket in the freezer for a while.  The other day I put it in the fridge to thaw so I could make corned beef with it.  I sort of forgot about it until this evening when I came home from work.  So I took it out of the fridge, trimmed the silverskin, and put it in a brine that I made.  Then put it back in the fridge for up to a week.  I did this two times before, and it is very good.  The brine I used is as follows:

10 cups water
1 1/2 cups kosher salt
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp dry mustard
3 Tbsp pickling spices
3 cloves garlic, sliced

I heated everything together, then let it cool while I was trimming the brisket.  It makes for very good corned beef.  Now to wait at least a week and then cook it.  Mhmm.  Can't wait to taste it.  Love me some corned beef!

Currently listening

Greatest Hits
by Spoken

No comments:

Post a Comment