Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Cincinnati Chili and Panna Cotta

I had the day off from the Bistro today.  I thought about going and watering plants at my side job, but it was way too hot.  Don't want to burn up those plants.  So tomorrow I think I will go water me some plants before it gets 100 degrees F.

A lot of the times when I don't work at the Bistro I will cook dinner here at the house.  Tonight I made Cincinnati chili.  If you know anything about this style of chili, you will know that if is way different from Texas chili, which you are probably most familiar with.  Cincinnati chili is cooked with no beans and spices, such as cinnamon, unsweetened chocolate, and cloves.  It is usually served over spaghetti noodles.  It's very good, or at least I think so.  There are 6 "ways" to eat this type of chili.  Of course I had to make it six-way. Yum!

one-way: just chili 
two-way: spaghetti and chili
three-way: spaghetti, chili, and shredded cheese
four-way: spaghetti, chili, shredded cheese, and either diced onions or beans
five-way: spaghetti, chili, shredded cheese, diced onions, and beans
six-way:  spaghetti, chili, shredded cheese, diced onions, beans, and sour cream

Unfortunately I did not cook this the authentic way.  I didn't have time.  The authentic way is to boil the ground meat in water for 30 minutes, add all the other ingredients and simmer it for another 3 hours, then refrigerate it overnight.  Then you take the layer of fat off from the chili and reheat it to eat over spaghetti.  I didn't have time to do all that so I fried the meat and then simmered everything together for about an hour or so until we were ready to eat.  It was very good, just not authentic Cincinnati style.  Next time I will cook it the right way.

Yesterday I made Yogurt Panna Cotta, which is an Italian dessert traditionally made by simmering together cream, milk, and sugar.  It was the first time I ever made panna cotta.  Turned out quite good.  I also made a blueberry/cherry coulis as a topping for it.  We ate that for dessert.  It was a very good ending to a hot day and chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment