Thursday, February 23, 2012

Homemade Mustard

So yesterday I mentioned using homemade mustard in the honey mustard that I made. So here is the recipe. I got it from a cookbook that my mom has, A Harvest of Health Hospitality written and illustrated by Sharon Morgan.

Mustard

I have been trying to make mustard since my college days but have only ended up with results that were worthy to be called a "five alarm blaze." Then one day I read that it takes 6 - 8 weeks for mustard to mellow at room temperature. Refrigeration stops the mellowing process. Relying on these nuggets of valuable info, the following tasty mustard recipe was born. It takes about 6 to 7 weeks for a nice spicy mustard -- 8 to 12 weeks for a mild version. Feel free to experiment! If guar gum is not available, boil 2 Tbsp powered fruit pectin in the water for 1 minute and allow to cool before adding to the rest of the ingredients.

Blend in blender until seeds are almost decimated.

1/2 cup dry mustard
1/2 cup mustard seed

 Pour mustard into glass bowl and add the following:


1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey (for a hotter version, reduce to 1/4 cup)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground turmeric (color)
1 tsp guar gum (thickener, see above)

Stir thoroughly. Pour into one pint glass jar. Keep at room temperature until mellowed, then refrigerate. Great gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment