Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Authentic Cincinnati Chili

I made Cincinnati Chili for dinner tonight.  I actually made it last night because that is the traditional Cincinnati way to do it.  I boiled the ground meat in water for half an hour, then added the other ingredients and simmered it for three hours or so.  Then tonight I skimmed the layer of fat off the top and reheated it.  I also cooked up some spaghetti, because you have to eat this chili over spaghetti.  Now there are five official ways to eat this chili, as mentioned on the Wikipedia page.

  • two-way: spaghetti and chili
  • three-way: spaghetti, chili, and shredded cheese
  • four-way: spaghetti, chili, shredded cheese, and either diced onions or beans
  • five-way: spaghetti, chili, shredded cheese, diced onions, and beans
I kicked it up a notch and served it six-way: spaghetti, chili, shredded cheese, diced onions, beans, and sour cream.  It is different than most chili that people are familiar to, but it's good.  I like it.

I also made cornbread muffins.  We didn't have normal cornmeal.  We had roasted cornmeal, so the muffins looked and tasted different than normal, but they were good.  Different can be good.  Different is good.
The cornbread muffins
The food ready to be assembled on the plates

The finished plate

Currently Listening
26 Letters
by Ben Glover

No comments:

Post a Comment